Sunday, May 11, 2008

Happy Mothers Day

A Tribute to My MOM

Today being Mothers Day brings back so many wonderful memories on my Mom.

She was born Leona Basham in 1923 in Hinton, West Virginia, She became Leona Godfrey when she married my Dad in 1942. She grew up During the 20's and 30's with seven sisters, Her dad passed away when she was only 13 years old. Her Mother had a very hard time bringing up eight girls alone.

There are seven children in our family, 4 boys and 3 girls. She was a wonderful mom, always there for us. Up every morning with breakfast on the table before we left for school. She tried very hard to raise us with honesty and integrity.

After I married and had my children she and I became neighbors also and lived beside each other of 16 years, She worked, owned and operated a country store with two of my siblings, She was not the kind on mom who cooked for you on Sunday as she always ate her meals with us. One of the things I remember the most is every evening as I cooked for my family I would call her when it was about ready and she would ask what are you having, I would tell her and she would usually say, I will see what Connie, and Sheila ( sister and sister-in-law) are having and let you know. lol! She would always had her choice as to which she would eat with. We were always so happy to cook for her as she had done more than her share of cooking when we were growing up.

We spent many many days on shopping trips where we would leave by 9 a.m. and not get home until 11 p.m. She got to travel very extensivly in her later years, spending her winters in California. She traveled on many trips with us, and we had so many family outings and picnics together.

Christmas was her favorite holiday as our whole family always spent Christmas Eve and Christmas day together, usually in her home. We still spend the holidays together to this day. All seven of us live with in a few miles of each other and see each other daily.

She passed away in 1993 at the age of 70. She spent the last two years of her life as a bed patient and lived in my home. With the help of all my family we took care of her and enjoyed every minute of it, I am go glad I got to return a little of what she did for me. She passed away one week before my first granddaughter was born. I have always told Miranda that Mom is her guardian angel. She has 13 grandchildren.

I hope you are enjoying your Mothers day and have great memories of your Mom and are making great memories with your children. I am waiting for my two to call me today.

HAPPY MOTHERS DAY TO ALL OF YOU


5 comments:

Connie said...

What a sweet tribute to your mom! Very very sweet.
Smoochies,
Connie

Shirl said...

Judy your Mother was just beautiful and that was a beautiful tribute to her! Our Mom's were about the same age! I hope you had a wonderful Mother's Day!
Blessings,
Shirl

Stephanie ~ Angelic Accents said...

What a lovely mother & a lovely tribute to her!

Happy Mother's Day, Judy!

Love you,
Stephanie
Angelic Accents

Unknown said...

Judy,
What a beautiful family you have!
And, that was a wonderful tribute to your mother!

Have a blessed day!
Lorena

Secondhandrose said...

Judy, you look just like your mom! Thanks for sharing your family with us.
Karen